
It was holiday time in 2006 when my China adventure started. I had joined my son
Michael, my daughter-in-law Xiao Jing and their son Nathan in Washington DC for a conference. We had gone to Chinatown for dinner and as is our custom Xiao Jing entered each restaurant to judge the service, ambiance, and quality of food while we reviewed the menu posted on the window outside. Each time she would return to us shaking her head No. It was December but no matter the chill the reward would be pure pleasure! It is a process Michael and I have come to expect, happy to leave the decision making to Xiao Jing. We completed one side of the street and crossed to the other continuing the survey till we had arrived where we began.
As Xiao Jing described the chosen restaurant I was thrilled to be greeted by my daughter Paula and her husband Scott with their children Haley and Max. I soon learned that this evening was to mark a special occasion.
After dinner as we exchanged New Year's toasts Paula told me that my approaching seventieth birthday was to be marked by a trip to anywhere in the world. I was to choose the destination and I mustn't worry about cost since my five children were paying for everything. I can still see Paula wagging her finger in my face saying, "Don't you dare say no. You are going to accept this gift, stick in the mud that you are!"
My choice was to accompany Xiao Jing who had been born and raised in China and Michael who had met her there when he was teaching in Jinan, Shandong Province,PRC in 1985.
I recall that I had been working as a nurse at Kodak during those years and that when asked if I planned to visit Michael while he was there such a trip was of no interest to me. I knew Michael's work was about all he could manage back then. But now Xiao Jing was planning to visit her family in May, 2007 and assured me that they would welcome Michael whom they had come to love and me. I was to plan on being in China almost six weeks. This was to be the beginning of the most exciting adventure of my life.
Michael, my daughter-in-law Xiao Jing and their son Nathan in Washington DC for a conference. We had gone to Chinatown for dinner and as is our custom Xiao Jing entered each restaurant to judge the service, ambiance, and quality of food while we reviewed the menu posted on the window outside. Each time she would return to us shaking her head No. It was December but no matter the chill the reward would be pure pleasure! It is a process Michael and I have come to expect, happy to leave the decision making to Xiao Jing. We completed one side of the street and crossed to the other continuing the survey till we had arrived where we began.As Xiao Jing described the chosen restaurant I was thrilled to be greeted by my daughter Paula and her husband Scott with their children Haley and Max. I soon learned that this evening was to mark a special occasion.
After dinner as we exchanged New Year's toasts Paula told me that my approaching seventieth birthday was to be marked by a trip to anywhere in the world. I was to choose the destination and I mustn't worry about cost since my five children were paying for everything. I can still see Paula wagging her finger in my face saying, "Don't you dare say no. You are going to accept this gift, stick in the mud that you are!"
My choice was to accompany Xiao Jing who had been born and raised in China and Michael who had met her there when he was teaching in Jinan, Shandong Province,PRC in 1985.
I recall that I had been working as a nurse at Kodak during those years and that when asked if I planned to visit Michael while he was there such a trip was of no interest to me. I knew Michael's work was about all he could manage back then. But now Xiao Jing was planning to visit her family in May, 2007 and assured me that they would welcome Michael whom they had come to love and me. I was to plan on being in China almost six weeks. This was to be the beginning of the most exciting adventure of my life.
1 comment:
Wow Grandma!!!! You remember everything. Cool pics.
Post a Comment