Sunday, March 29, 2009

China Journal 5/18/06


Such long lines to process our tickets and get rid of our luggage.. Passengers are in groups and softly talking to each other as we process through - about an hour. Consummate patience. Once that process finished it started all over again through security. Later -much later- we were able to get a cup of coffee and a pumpkin muffin for me. Nothing for the others, Xiao Jing had an apple for them. Michael refused coffee. "If I can't have a cigarette I don't want coffee". Xiao Jing later said "too much stimulant causes that heat rising that we had thought was the chronic thyroid he had had - debunked by his internist.
It's 9:30 by my watch. I don't know if it's pm or am tho! All the shades are drawn. Nathan says, " It's 6:30 pm."
We've had a meal already fish and vegetables, salad, water-and I've walked and stretched and enjoyed the IPOD. -I finally got out the manual to save my thumb. The battery was surely wearing down with all the scrolling I was doing.
Harry Potter 3 is on the screen. Michael, Nathan, and Xiao Jing are watching raptly. Chinese script along the bottom. I'm content reading the Wall Street Journal etc.
Xiao Jing's cousin, Sharmay met us at the airport. 3 stops comprised the customs inspection then to the ramp garage. Exiting the airport gave us a jolt with our first breath of "fresh" air-grey with dust from the Gobi and smog from the world of China! (Beijing) Huge buildings, wide unmarked highway and vehicles 4 lanes deep weaving in and out with never a beep. Amazing!
Dinner at the hotel after much planning for the week. We ate seaweed/egg soup, steamed fish, eggplant, baby bok choy with porcini mushrooms and of course the rice all of which I finished using my chopsticks throughout.

No comments:

Followers